What is Nylon?
There are several different types of nylon on the market. That is because moisture can significantly affect the plastic’s properties. Overall, nylon is a great plastic to work with because it resists heat very well, resists chemicals, is fantastic at wear resistance and is fairly easy to process.
Nylon is such a versatile plastic and can be worked with so easily. Therefore, there are several different products that can be derived from it. Some of them are:
· Electrical Connectors
· Gear, Slide, Cams and Bearings
· Cable Ties and Film Packaging
· Fluid Reservoirs
· Fishing Line
· Brush Bristles
· Automotive Oil Pans
· Sports and Recreational Equipment
A Few Tips
There are a few tips and tricks that should be acknowledged prior to machining nylon. A few of them are:
· Storage – make sure to expose the nylon to room temperature for a few hours before machining into parts to make sure it is not in an expanded state.
· Drilling – use twist or flat types of drills on nylon. Do not use metal cutting reamers on nylon due to the fact that they do not cut freely enough.
· Stamping – thin pieces of nylon can be stamped using standard equipment. Thick sections will require shear angles if a good edge is needed.